Thanks to the technological revolution, the sky is the limit where outdoor advertising is concerned. Laser graffiti splashed across buildings in London, advertising on runway couture in Johannesburg, and an interactive LED floor in the Hauptbahnhof train station in Berlin are just a few of the out-of-the-box things that are happening around the world.
Outdoor advertising, also called out-of-home advertising, is a rapidly growing medium that has exploded into today’s increasingly mobile society. Meeting people where they are, as they go about their daily tasks, has made outdoor advertising a relevant and efficient form of advertising.
The Outdoor Advertising Association of America breaks up Outdoor Advertising into five categories with a host of subcategories:
· Billboards: These can include posters, digital billboards, and murals. You can make a splash on the sides of buildings and along busy interstates.
· Street Furniture: You can place ads on bicycle racks, bus shelters, information kiosks, news racks, and many other outdoor structures.
· Transit: Consider your message at airports, on buses and taxis, and in subways. You can also spread the word with in-flight advertising.
· Alternative: Look up! You can get new customers by placing your ads on blimps and as banners behind airplanes. Also consider sports arenas and golf courses, as well as cartons, cups, and dry-cleaning bags.
· Cinema: You have a captive audience in a movie theater, so consider ads there. Many successful campaigns can be launched just before the previews. An added bonus is that you can drill down demographics by selecting movies likely to be watched by your target audience.
Here are a few things to keep in mind as you ponder your next outdoor advertising campaign:
· You are advertising to someone on the go. Make your contact information and message clear, memorable and easy to read.
· Keep the design and message simple. You may get a viewer’s attention for only a second.
· Be creative. The 21st century offers opportunities in outdoor advertising that could previously only be imagined. If you can dream it, there’s a good chance that you can do it.
So get your message out there. Meet people where they are, whether it’s in the grocery store, at the movie theater, or viewing the latest fashion on a runway. The sky is the limit … for now.
Staying relevant and up to date is the basis of the American Marketing Association. We are proud to be an organization that provides working professionals and independent entrepreneurs in the Tampa Bay area opportunities to network and learn about current trends in the marketing field.