Seeking a career in marketing? Give your resume a boost with these helpful tips!
Rising above the pack to get noticed by a hiring manager may seem like a challenge, but instead, consider it a chance to sell a potential "client" on a winning brand: you! Make your marketing resume stand out from the crowd with our suggestions.
1. Include a cover letter. You have the opportunity to let your creativity, passion, and style shine through in a well-crafted and concise cover letter. If you don't take advantage of this, a potential employer may wonder whether you will go above and beyond for the company.
2. Keep it simple. Choose a layout, font, style, and overall design that will leave a potential employer dazzled by your ability to execute an ad. After all, your resume is an advertisement – make sure hiring managers will take notice.
3. Don't waste space. Most hiring managers are extremely busy, so former employment that has no bearing on the job you're trying to obtain will just be regarded as wasted space. Keep your job descriptions, past and present, on point. The same goes for your writing samples – sometimes less is more.
4. Triple-check your work. With stacks of applications to review, a grammatical error could be enough to get your resume tossed into the trash. Your brilliant ideas suddenly don't seem as professional when there's a typo or two in the mix.
5. Include a marketing objective statement. An objective statement allows you to summarize exactly what value and services you can provide to the company. A powerful career objective can highlight your best assets in seconds, which is sometimes the length of time hiring managers spend reviewing resumes. Make yours stand out!
6. Highlight quantifiable results. Did you increase ROI or quarterly profits at your last company? Show the ways that you have created measurable results through bulleted lists. By placing an emphasis on quantified, specific accomplishments, you'll set your resume apart from the others.
Are you ready to get started with a career in marketing? Give your resume a boost by joining AMA Tampa Bay!